Landscape designers

Luther R. Briggs, Jr. (1822-1905)

Designer of the burial grounds in 1865

Briggs was a native of Pembroke, Massachusetts. In 1838 he went to work as a draftsman for his uncle, Alexander Parris, Boston's leading architect and engineer at that time. Briggs opened his own office in 1844.

After the rail line from Boston to suburban Dorchester opened in 1844, the area known as Port Norfolk was developed. Briggs finished laying out the street system there by 1859 and constructed several houses, one being his own. He designed a number of large houses on large landscaped lots, so although he called himself an engineer, he actually practiced as both architect and landscape designer.

For Bayside Cemetery, Briggs took advantage of the glacial hills and Raquette River shoreline of the setting to lay out curving tree-lined roads providing easy access to several thousand grave lots. He was clearly much influenced by the Rural Cemetery Movement of design which had begun in Boston and flourished during his career to this point. (See "A Rural Cemetery.")


 Edgar Josselyn (1861-1943)

Architect of the lodge (gatehouse) in 1898-1900 


Josselyn was born in Roxbury, Mass. He worked for an architectural firm in Boston for seven years as a young man, then won a scholarship to study in Paris at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts, where he flourished and was inspired to establish the Society of Beaux-Arts Architects in New York (1894). He returned home in 1889 and worked for a New York City firm, then set up his own practice in 1897. He designed buildings for the Horace Mann School and numerous other buildings in New York. 


When he was chosen to design Clarkson University’s Old Main (1896) in Potsdam, Josselyn’s reputation was just beginning to develop. The Clarkson family evidently was pleased with his work, because they employed him again in 1898 to design the lodge at Bayside Cemetery. 


The lodge was designed to combine religious functions in the front half (possessing a bell tower and viewing room) with accommodations for a sexton’s family in the back half. The red sandstone came from the Clarkson quarries. The roughcut ashlar style of masonry, offset by smooth carvings and flat pieces, is employed in a building that may be described as “Chateauesque” rather than Beaux-Arts. 


Josselyn married in 1908 and fathered two daughters. He moved to White Plains after his marriage. He retired during the Depression after a long, busy career. For information about Josselyn's gatehouse, visit "Buildings."



Warren Manning (1860-1938)


Entryway landsacape architect in 1898


Manning was born in Reading, Mass. The son of a horticulturalist, he was designing landscapes by 1884. He married in 1885 and in 1888 went to work for Frederick Law Olmstead, the designer of Manhattan’s Central Park. During his eight years with Olmstead he worked on 125 projects in 22 states, including the Columbian Exposition of 1893 and several large urban parks. 


In 1896 Manning established his own office in Boston and his work flourished until the Depression.


Manning favored an informal, naturalistic style. He was a charter member of the American Society of Landscape Architects, founded 1899. 

Manning worked with Josselyn to determine the siting of the lodge, providing a broad flat area in front of it. Surviving correspondence from 1898 refers to the semicircular drive being lined with elm trees and plans for foundation plantings at the lodge and wall. The raised allee (causeway) from the entry gate to the burial grounds was also tree-lined. See "The Original Entry"

Like Josselyn, Manning worked at Bayside at the start of a substantial career. One wonders how the Clarksons discovered them.

Contents © 2021 Bayside Cemetery Association • Church Website Builder by mychurchwebsite.netPrivacy Policy