The Beginnings

150 years ago in 1865, a group of Potsdam Village citizens established Bayside Cemetery. Under the leadership of Thomas S. Clarkson Sr. and Bloomfield Usher, prominent citizens and leaders in the Trinity Church, the cemetery bought over 20 acres, known as "Deming's Heights," on the southwest side of the village. Thomas Clarkson gave it an additional 15 acreas. Later acquisitions have increased the property to over 80 acres, half of which is still in forest.

The first interment was performed in 1867. In addition, about 720 graves were moved from earlier cemeteries within the village on Willow St. and Pierrepont Avenue.

The burial grounds were designed by Luther Briggs, a Boston architect and surveyor. (More about Briggs in "Designers").

The first gatehouse was a simple frame building beside a cart track that crossed a field into the burial grounds. It was moved to adjacent land south of the cemetery when the present stone gatehouse and entryway were constructed at the beginning of the 20th century. For more on the gatehouse and entryway, see "Buildings."